Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Apostle Paul's Attitude ~

Hello! Hello! Is anybody there??? With so many states frozen over, I'm beginning to think the answer is NO! Our high today was 17 degrees, and we had a low of -6 last night. I'm praying that we don't lose heat. I'm not sure what I'd do, but probably go to Lisa's since she has electric heaters. I'm thankful that I have some choices. 

And so do you when it comes to your attitude. We all have choices when it comes to acting out our faith and beliefs. Think about the apostle Paul speaking to the elders at Epheseus as he was preparing to go to Jerusalem for the day of Pentecost.

The Holy Spirit has shown him that "chains and tribulations" await   him, and he says:  "But none of these things move me; nor do I count my life dear to myself, so that I may finish my race with joy, and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus to testify to the gospel of the grace of God. .... Therefore, I testify to you this day that I am innocent of the blood of all men." How could Paul say this with conviction? Because as he states: "For I have not shunned to declare to you the whole counsel of God." Paul's attitude was that he had said everything he could to give them understanding and counsel--not of his own wisdom--but the counsel of God. {Acts 20:22-27}

And to the Philippians, Paul shows much more about his attitude. He tells the brethren that the things which happened to him turned out to further the gospel. And even though some of the people were then preaching from envy and strife, others were preaching from goodwill.

This meant that whether it was pretending or truth, the gospel of Christ was preached, and Paul rejoiced at the news. The important thing, Paul says, is that he magnify Christ in his body, whether through life or death. And he didn't know which would be best, saying: "For I am hard-pressed between the two, having a desire to depart and be with Christ, which is far better. Nevertheless to remain in the flesh is more needful for you." What an attitude! He knows that the people need him, and he is willing to live in order to share their joy of faith and their rejoicing in Jesus Christ. {Phil 1:12-26}
                                                              
Further along in Philippians, Paul is rejoicing at their care for him. And his statement of acceptance and contentment is an attitude which would benefit all of us. He says: "Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content: I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
 {Phil 4:11-13}

And when Paul spoke of doing things because Christ strengthened him, he was showing all of us that we too can depend on the strength of Christ in everything we do. With the world in the shape it's in regarding a lack of knowledge of God and the Bible, we know that things are seriously out of sync. And even in the U. S. today, we see so many problems on every hand--people who mistreat their families and friends without thinking, and problems within families because no consideration or appreciation is felt. There is an epidemic of unhappiness, laziness, and troubled souls who look to themselves rather than to God. But one of the things you and I can do is to keep the right attitude as we go through our trials and problems. That attitude rests in God. And for right now, I think we need some strength to get through this cold, snowy weather! I hope the best for all of you.

Blessings...Mimi  









2 comments:

  1. Its really a great Blog. With children youth bible study lessons, your children would learn more about strengthening their faith and making sure that they will not feel that you have no time for them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Samual. I don't have children at home, but I'm sure all children benefit from studying the Bible.

    ReplyDelete