Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Intro: Meeting God in Quiet Places by F. LaGard Smith


In searching for books which may touch your heart and change your life as they have mine, I pulled Meeting God in Quiet Places: The Cotswold Parables off the bookshelf. Written by F. LaGard Smith, it is one of my favorites. I have already been sharing the chapters on my original web site, and so this is a repeated blog, but I want to make sure that the people who are only interested in spiritual thoughts would have the opportunity to read it.
~
The picture is of a church outside of Buckland, where LaGard's home is. I mostly want to show you the lay of the land, because it is a factor in the mental pictures given--analogies from life to compare to the spiritual. You may call them parables, if you prefer, much like the parables in the New Testament, which Jesus used to teach. I find them both beautiful and practical, and that's why I determined to summarize them and share them with you with LaGard's permission. This is a devotional book, which will move you closer to your Creator than you may ever have been before.
~
LaGard says in his introduction: "The Scriptures tell us that Enoch 'walked with God,' as also did Noah. It's the way of the righteous to walk each day with God. As the prophet Micah saw it, walking with God leads us to the very heart of our purpose for living. 'He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.' How could we not be humble, knowing that our Maker has invited us to share each day with him, whether we are literally taking a walk or perhaps unable to walk at all?" He ends by saying that it is his hope that you'll "experience new depths of love and new heights of faith in your daily walk with God." I echo that hope.
~
The life which includes quiet villages and tranquil hills is going to teach you about yourself and your purpose for living. You have a purpose, you know! Are you fulfilling your purpose? If you can't answer that with a yes, take some time to ask yourself, why not. I believe that many of us live a life stuck in survival mode. We feel lucky to get through a day, much less think about its purpose. You are the only one who can change that mode of operation. Only you can decide to make your life more meaningful and worthwhile.
~
This is half the original blog I put on the other site. In an effort to shorten my blogs, I'll put the rest on tomorrow. I think I'll go take a walk!
~
Blessings...Mimi

No comments:

Post a Comment