Friday, October 1, 2010

Rachel's Tomb: Memorialized Over 3,000 Years

Rachel's Tomb in 1910

You may be wondering why I'm choosing to talk about Rachel's tomb. The fact is, I was writing a Bible lesson when I looked it up, and discovered that her tomb has been enlarged and fought over, and that she has been honored by the Jews for over 3,000 years--probably closer to 3,500 years. This seemed an amazing fact to me.

Because Rachel was childless and Leah was having many sons, Rachel prayed to God and was given two sons--Joseph and Benjamin. If you've ever wondered what your prayers can accomplish, think of Rachel. She was desperate when she prayed, having said to her husband, Jacob, "Give me children, or else I die!" Jacob could only say to her that he wasn't in the place of God.
 Rachel's Tomb Today                                                   
If Rachel's name and Rachel's tomb are still being honored after 3,000 years, doesn't that say something about God's faithfulness? Can you even imagine how many people have gone to her grave site and prayed? Women wanting children ask for her help with their appeal to God for a child. It has become almost mystical in the way women look to Rachel for help, using a red string around their wrist as a reminder of Mother Rachel. One website is looking for all the Rachel's of the world to register with them. And the walls you see, with the tomb inside, also houses a school for women.

I laughed out loud when I saw the difference in the actual tomb and what was in my mind. I was stunned at the number of years Rachel has been honored and reverenced...the enormous place where it sits now...the school for women...the appreciation for Rachel's life and the tragedy of her young death. What it shows me is that the Bible can't be called only a book of stories and tales about the history of the Jewish people...it is real and carries the eternal Spirit of God within it...the living, breathing Word of God. The story of Rachel's Tomb brought that home to me once again.

The week is gone and now we have the weekend. Use it to enjoy your life!
Blessings...Mimi





No comments:

Post a Comment