Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Graffiti of the Heart: Verbal Abuse~2

Well, it's Wednesday and I had a good day talking to two of my daughters and cutting out doll dresses yesterday. I know my life is simple compared to many people, and I'm very thankful. It hasn't always been that way.

I learned last night that my brother, Ron Roark, is leaving from Birmingham, AL, for Africa the 20th of October to teach and preach the gospel in Mozambique until November 9th. Please pray for him!


Now I want to continue telling you about the way David dealt with slander and betrayal. Remember how David asked God to help him get back at his enemies?
~
You cheer David on because you too have felt the hurt--maybe not of hatred, but of spite, or selfishness, or even an important difference of opinion. You want to feel better, and lashing back at your "enemy" will put salve on your wounds. Unfortunately, it doesn't heal them completely. But you can cover over the ugly words of grafitti with paint, and ugly abusive words with love. In fact, you may remember that the apostle Peter tells us to "Love each other deeply, because love covers a multitude of sins."

Covers...yes, but what about forgetting those hateful words? It's because David wrote the 23rd Psalm that we know that he didn't allow vindictiveness to consume him. Writing the 23rd Psalm showed that no matter who came against him, he depended on God. "You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies...Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever." Depending on God worked for David, and it will work for you!

And, of course, the best example of forgiving your enemies, your friends, or your relatives is Jesus. Betrayed by friends and hung on a cross by enemies, Jesus also looked to God and turned all His grief and pain over to Him, saying, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing?" Forgive them?!!! Can you really learn to be that commpassionate and forgiving? Certainly, you can be strengthened by realizing that God knows how much you have been hurt. Bearing the greatest slander, the greatest scorn, the greatest hatred the world has ever seen, Jesus said to God: "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit."

That is what you should do when you're faced with verbal grafitti--FORGIVE. To be like Christ, you must forgive and turn it over to your heavenly Father as He did. Sometimes you treat your family like the enemy, and your acquaintances like family. That is a false way of moving through the world. You must realize that you haven't been perfect either, and someone has undoubtedly covered your wrongs with their love. For God to forgive you, you must forgive others. We all forget that sometimes!

Have a good Wednesday and thank God for all your good gifts!
Blessings...Mimi

No comments:

Post a Comment